Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thing 58 Flip A Pancake


There's no way that pancake is flipping. That's what internet nerds like me and Pixie Head call "pancake fail". It also perfectly illustrates why I've never flipped a pancake before - because allowing me to help will ultimately end in disaster. I think I remember Ma letting me help before, and I served a 12 month ban for the results. Way to ruin Pancake Tuesday Dan...

Thankfully, Pixie Head can make pancakes without destroying half a kitchen, and she cheerfully let me stand next to her while she did all the work. It's also a good thing that she was there for the shopping. Cheese is not required for pancakes it seems. Who knew? Everyone. Apparently, except me. Ah well.

So, anyway, after much help, we managed to cook some pancakes, and I got to give a shot at flipping...
Aerodynamics. They're more important than you think. It's just missed my face, and I did, with my cat-like reflexes, managed to catch it before it hit the ground. To be fair though, it did sail majestically through the air. And It did rotate through 180 degrees, and has been ruled by the judges (Pony Boy and Little Flower) to be considered a flip. Last thing you want to get by on is a judges' ruling. So we'd have another shot. But only after Pony Boy and Pixie head...
Pictured: Flipping fail... He swears he managed to get one...
Pictured: The master Pixie Head shows us how it's done...

You've got to hand it to people who manage this on a regular basis without bother. Chefs with their dab hands, the likes of Pixie Head and the other baking nuts. I'm sure with practice there's a knack to it, but novices like you and me will either overshoot, and hit the roof, or undershoot and not even get the thing airborne. I know that there's a terrible sex joke in there somewhere, but for the life of me I haven't the energy to think of it.

Whole thing made me hungry... But we did have success...
Pictured: Flippin' great (I'm sorry, that's a terrible joke...).

No comments:

Post a Comment