Monday, May 31, 2010

Thing 48 Table Cloth Magic Trick


This is it folks. This is where the magic happens... I've always wanted to say that. Actually, in total honesty, this is where the smashing happens. And continuing in the vain of honesty, I can't decide which I like more; magic or smashing stuff.

It was always made to look so easy wasn't it? Quick flick of the wrists, sharp tug and it's done (children, get your heads out of the gutter, that's disgusting). I wonder, in all the magicians who ever tried this, how many plates and glasses were smashed in training? How many items of delph were destroyed needlessly to amuse you? Did you ever think about the orphaned side-plates? Did you? You monsters...

I can hardly talk, I did a number on the new set I just bought in Dunnes. Quality homeware for a euro. Smashing prices... (drum roll and snare...)

Still, it wasn't a bad old effort eh? Take a look see...
That's two large plates, a side plate and a glass undamaged. As for the side plate that's mid-fall on the counter... well, you might want to sit down for this bad news...

What an almighty mess. I love it. I'd like to keep trying, I think I'd finally get there, improving day by day, but I don't think I can afford it, and I don't expect Token Northy and Pony Boy to clean up after me everyday.

Like most magic, this trick is nowhere near as exciting as your head makes it out to be. It's physics when you boil it down. Speed and acceleration must exceed mass over come static energy. Or something like that. I could be on CSI with talk like that... It's one of the big let downs of magic tricks. They're not nearly as cool when you know how.

So for our next trick, Token Northy turns a perfectly good Frenchman into a donkey...
Pictured: Hilarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment