Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thing 254 Mulled Apples

Alright, I realise that from time to time, I phone in some of this stuff. Every so often, the Thing for the day is lame, and boring. This is one of those times. There's no point in bullshitting anyone about it. Frankly, sometimes this Project is good god damn hard work, and trying to get one new Thing done every single day, well, they're not all going to be winners are they? Sometimes I do something like this Thing, just because it's new, I've never done it, but it's easy... and I'm having a hard day.

This was just such a day. The eve of Christmas Eve. December 23rd. I'd a night shift the night before. Zero shopping done. The Thief's car was broken, so she'd to be dropped out home, our internets were still broken, and the chap from eircom had promised to call around to the house. Fifty places to be at the same time, fifty people to meet, and meet soon, and, just to extra piss me off - I'd another night shift starting that night at nine o'clock.

I know what you're thinking. Excuses, excuses Mooney. Suck it up. You did this to yourself. You've no one to blame but you. Where did you get that stunning haircut... well you can save it, I've heard it all before.

Right in the middle of the day, while scurrying around like a rat, trying to get shopping done for everyone, I was panicking about what my Thing for the day was going to be, as I forked out cash left right and centre in the hope that if I bought enough presents, someone was bound to like something they got... I saw it. In the market. Sitting there like a little oasis of calm in the middle of whirlwind of maniacal shoppers... A little mulled apple stand. And a little wooden seat.

"Sit on me... sit on me" it seemed to call (stop sniggering you dirty shower of so and so's). A very nice and friendly man sat me down and handed me a tall mug of mulled apple (it was non alcoholic... more's the pity). His smile seemed to say; relax. His calm and gentle ways were a reassuring rock in a sea of festive overdrive.

But yeah... you can't really polish a turd can you?

I phoned this one in folks. Big time. Technically it still counts, because, you know, it's new and I've never done it before, but it's lame, and I know it's lame.

I promise you. January has bigger and better Things. Has to be really... I mean, anything's better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment