Friday, January 7, 2011

Thing 243 Eat Calamari

There's the calamari...
Now you see it...
Now you don't...

Calamari is a fancy way of saying squid. It's important to have fancy ways of saying things, because, let's be honest, asking for squid just sounds manky. For example; fois gras, is actually distended duck liver (thanks to the walking encyclopedia that is Dr Frasier and his only slightly unattractive assistant Token Northy). Can you imagine posh people ordering that in a restaurant? I say posh people, because I assume they're the only people who eat this crap right?

So anyway, here's a brief list of some weird junk I've eaten:
Shark.
Ostrich.
Springbok (not a South African rugby player. I can't make this clear enough people, I've never eaten a South African rugby player... It's a real and not in any way made up animal).
Buffalo.
Squid.

I told you it was a brief list. I guess vegetarians are going to be mad at me. Sorry I ate all the animals guys, but I find them delicious and good for me. Seriously though; how awesome is eating shark?

As I often do with this blog, I want to try to explain the experience of the day's Thing, but in this case, it's kind of difficult. It's practically impossible to describe what eating a type of food is like. Everyone just ends up saying "tastes like chicken, but...." and then they qualify the statement by digressing far from what chicken tastes like, and by the time they're done, you're still not any the wiser as to what it tastes like. Here's my best effort:

It's not soft, but you wouldn't call it tough either. It's a little oily, but what seafood isn't? It had breadcrumbs, but that only tells you about a different type of food doesn't it? Amm.....

It tastes kind of like chicken... except more like fish.

Screw you, I don't have to make sense if I don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment