Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thing 8 Picnic on a Roundabout






The great outdoors. You see it pretty much every day, in that short jog between your front door and you car, or between your gaff and the bus stop. It's hard to pay attention to it though, when you're trying to dodge raindrops, or avoiding getting soaked. It'd be great if we had just a few days of decent weather to spend in the sun....




Okay, look, I'd love to go out, but How I Met Your Mother is on, and then I've to blog, and then I want to watch Reeling In The Years, and of course there's probably some crap on Sky Movies that I'd be interested in half-watching while I shoot the breeze with Token Northy, Thorny Wire and Pony Boy. I'd love to see some sunshine, but as you can tell I'm highly busy.




Man, remember when we had those few days of sunshine? I wish I hadn't wasted those....




That's basically the inspiration behind this Thing. I always promised myself I wouldn't be one of those old pain-in-the-ass whiners who give out about the weather and then spend their good days vegging in front of the telly. It's not that I don't appreciate a good winge as much as the next bloke, I just hate the fact that we get about ten and a half days of decent weather in this country - let's not waste it. Plus, I always wanted to picnic on a roundabout...




This should have been done yesterday, but I was too lazy getting out of the leaba... not today, I say. Not today.




Originally me, The Frenchman and Token Northy were to picnic, but we ran into Big Red and Pixie Head who seemed like they'd like a bit of grub in the middle of a modern major thoroughfare, so it was five instead of three. I've always believed in the more-the-merrier.




It's an odd feeling picnicing on a roundabout. It's not like we picnic alot as a nation anyway, so it's normally a special treat. A treat typically reserved for the park, or a local green spot. As for roundabouts; we typically hate them. As well we should. No one in this country has a goddam clue how to maneouvre when it comes to the arcane magic of driving in a small circle around a piece of tarmac. It's like someone's asked us to recite the alphabet backwards - we could probably do it, but it takes time, so we'd rather just skip from Z to A and be done with the bits in between...




So picnics and roundabouts... Not a match made in heaven.... until you combine them.




I'd like to take some time to thank all the awesome drivers and passengers on the road today who craned their necks to look out the windows at us as we munched our grub. A special thanks to all of those who beeped appreciation for our outrageous flying in the face of convention...




I urge eveyone, in all seriousness - take advantege of the weather when it's not trying to drown us. Get out in the fresh air. Pack some grub. Pick up some friends - if you can't find those, I'll lend you Token Northy - he's a pain in the hole, and get outside.




Pick a park if you can, but if you can't a roundabout will do - motorists think it's hilarious. Trust me, I know.


P.S. How awesome is that top photo? It's the picnic reflection in my sunglasses... The Frenchman fairly rocks for that one...

4 comments:

  1. I just love the bus eireann thats been caught in the reflection...

    Oh. Home.
    Bless your cotton socks Mooney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you believe that this Task really confused me. I was wondering how you would fit more than one person on the roundabout and how you would stop the food from flying around when it started to spin. I kind of understand now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wicked idea, I'm always determined to learn something new every day but actually challenging myself to a project like this never occurred to me... you may start waves my man. Also I think I know the girl in the photo :)

    ReplyDelete