Sunday, April 18, 2010

Thing 5 Write a Fan Mail


Oh yeah... Senator Norris. He's awesome.

This dude took on The Constitution of Ireland because of it's complete homophobia, and went all the way to the European Court of Human Rights. When did he do this? In the 1980's, when this country was twice as backwards as it is now. And he's hilarious. The dude's a legend. So it's only right and proper that I should send him some fan-mail...

It's not easy though. I'm not good at paying people compliments. Still he's a legend so I did it.

And here it is...

Senator Norris,

For what it's worth, I'd like to add my voice to the many others in this country now calling for you to stand for President. Your record as a Senator, a human rights activist and a broadcaster speaks for itself, and tells the story of an intelligent, educated, articulate and forward thinking man. Your many public appearances for television and radio show a side of you that's both funny, caring and considerate. It's this combination of qualities that make you the ideal candidate for Presidency.

Your wit and personality remain a bright light in a political landscape that's become increasingly dark, dreary and lacking in any form of colour. The Senate's become the focus recently after suggestions that it should be dissolved. In the event that this happens, I urge you to remain in political life - stand for Dáil Éireann, and become a TD, because without characters like you, the political landscape will be completely bereft of the type of politician that's really required now. Intelligent, educated, witty and tough, with charisma and charm as much as sense and determination.

In matters of human rights you're also to be commended. Taking on the establishment in country where homophobia remains rife even today, must have been a tall order in the 1980's. As we continue to catch up with the rest of Western Society, I do hope that you're contributions will be remembered.

I hope this letter finds you ready for the long road for campaigning, and I know that you'll embrace the challenges facing both a Presidential Campaign and the presidency itself with the vigour, charm, enthusiasm and determination that only you can.

Good luck

Sincerely,

Dan Mooney

So anyway, i know it's a little gushy and I've come across like a bit of a tool, but I don't care. The man's a legend. I thought about it for a while before I settled on him. I was thinking I might go for Patrick Stewart, maybe Denis Irwin, or even Declan Kidney, but Senator Norris just seemed like the right one to go for. Here's hoping he does run for President.

1 comment: