Monday, April 19, 2010

Thing 6 Walk a Mile in Someone Else's Shoes



Good Lord Pony Boy has some giant feet... You know what they say about men with giant feet right.... meh, I haven't the energy for a bad penis joke that you've all already heard. And besides, it's crass.

So anyway, he's got giant feet, and as a corollary to this, he also has giant shoes. They're like god damn barges. You could smuggle Dr Frasier and his entire County Clare family over the border into Limerick in one of these things. You could attach some wings to those bad boys and take off from our drive way in them. He loaded one of them with passengers and tried to sail it across the Atlantic Ocean in 1912, with disastrous consequences... You get where I'm going with this.

They don't fit me. They're a little bit roomy for my size 9's (9 1/2 on my left foot, I don't know why that one's bigger).

So anyway, I think it was Billy Connolly who said: "Before you judge someone; walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their frickin' shoes". Wise, wise words.

It's an expression I've always been fond of mind. Walk a mile in someone's shoes, is an instruction to try to know someone else's problems, and the road they travel before you aply your life to them. It seems like pretty solid advice if you ask me. I think we're all guilty of firing about the judgements too quickly.

So I did it. I walked a mile in someone else's shoes, but not figuratively. I put on Pony Boy's shoes, and me, him and Dr Frasier all walked a mile. Nice evening for it too. Not too chilly. Still some brightness left in the sky. Quick dander up the road and back...

So from now on, when someone tells me to walk a mile in someone else's shoes, I can safely say, I've already done it. Enjoyed it. And I'm going to judge you anyway...

:)

I crack myself up...

P.S. Finally starting to impose some organisation on this Project. Tomorrow's Picnic on a Roundabout, Wednesday is Play Softball, Thursday is Attend a Drag Show and Friday is See the Book of Kells. All pretty worthy. Keep the suggestions coming too folks, otherwise Token Northy gets to give them all, and he's sadistic as hell....

1 comment: