Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thing 203 Write a Cartoon Strip


Ever read Cyanide and Happiness? Be warned, if you're planning to look for it, it's dark. It's a sick black humour that makes my sides split from laughing. Every single day the chaps at explosm.net write themselves a new Cyanide and Happiness cartoon strip, and every day I read it, and then spend some time clicking the "Random" button to read back over strips I've already seen. And I laugh and laugh. Now that I think about it, I must be pretty sick in the head - it's ridiculously dark stuff.

Anyway, I've always wanted to guest write my own Cyanide and Happiness cartoon, so I've decided to do that. Completely infringing copyright law (please don't sue me, I love you guys) and blatantly stealing someone else's artwork, I sat down to write some funnies...

I should tip the hat to the real comic geniuses. It took me an hour and a half to write too comic strips. Neither one of which were that funny. I hope you can read them, they seem a little small. The first one is okay, as jokes go. The second one is just stupid.
I really thought this would be a strong suit for me. I thought I was going to kick some ass at this. I've watched hundreds of episodes of Family Guy and Futurama. I'm blue in the face from South Park and I've read every Calvin and Hobbes ever. And this is the best I could come up with...

You're right to judge me.

There's an art to consistently funny writing (before you make the joke, I realise that there's a certain level of stupid coincidence that goes with writing this blog and talking about being consistently unfunny). You've got to really appreciate the writers of shows like South Park, and Family Guy. Some episodes may not be as funny as others, but over all, these are pretty funny, most of the time. My humour is much more physical, in that, I'm funny to look at, physically. And I'm chubby. This is a hilarious combination.

I decided on a formula for my comic strip: Set up - standard line with expected finish. Reel - slight change of direction. Obscenity - finish off with some bad language or off colour abuse. It's potty humour, and I love it that way.

I think I could do this for fun...

You know what... as I'm blogging, I think I'll try one more...

That's actually not bad... I'm pretty pleased about it...

3 comments:

  1. The second comic is completely ripped off from RedVsBlue episode 1. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Happy Tree Friends, funny messed up stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. .......Serious question: Was the last comic based on a real life conversation with a certain red-haired man?

    ReplyDelete