Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thing 357 Gone Fishin'

I badly wanted to hang a "Gone Fishin'" sign on the door of The Sluggery when I was leaving for this Thing. Except that's the dumbest idea in the entire world. That sign may as well say: "We're not home, rob us". Would it have been worth it just to hang that iconic sign? Probably not.

When I told Thorny Wire that fishing was my Thing for the day he asked me what kind of childhood I had. It was a strange question to come from my little brother. "The same childhood as you, oddball, and you didn't go fishing either...." Would have been a good point except that he's been fishing regularly since he was about nineteen.

It made me wonder how many other twenty somethings have never been fishing? I would have thought it's not that common a pastime that I should be mocked for never having done it, but then Dr Frasier put me to shame. I used to fish all the time he told me. With the greatest of respect to Dr Frasier, I really wasn't expecting that. He looks like the kind of guy who would have read every book on fishing ever, and be able to readily identify and tell you the history an genealogy of every fish you might come across, but I wasn't expecting that. It's funny how best friends can surprise you after years of hanging around.

He was as good as his word too. Or at least I think he was. Capable boat-rower, he also filled in the positions of Number One Officer, cabin boy, scullery maid and ship's doctor. Useful eh? I as the captain, obviously enough.

We went for a spot just outside Newmarket on Fergus, County Clare. It's called Rathlahine, and it's not hard to find from Limerick or Ennis. Thirty bucks a head gets you a boat for five hours, and you can rent lines if you need them. We only spent three hours out there. I assumed I'd be bored; you know, sitting around for three hours, nothing to do except cast and re cast for fish. It was a pretty fast three hours, and really relaxing.

I'm definitely getting old before my time. It was just so damn peaceful. Tranquil even. Wee just chilled out in our boat, waiting for fish to bite, shooting the breeze and not worrying. It was pretty cool. Think I'll do more of it. Except I'm expecting better results next time.

We caught, literally, nothing.

Not even an old tyre, boot or book of cliches. Nada. Which I think says a lot about our skills as fishermen. We were crap at it. Don't get me wrong, that didn't take from the event at all, but it would have been nice to have a fish or two to take home.

To add insult to injury, the pond itself was only restocked with fish a week before. I mean we literally had no excuse. Two oafs in a boat. We're not very outdoorsy, to be fair.
Next time I'm catching me something. Even if I've to use my hands to do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment